Taking the Legendary 1073 Design to the Next Level.
While the 1084 builds on the same basic design of the world-famous 1073®, it offers a significantly different palette of frequency selections. The 1084 also features a “Q” switch, allowing the user to choose between two different Q types, either narrow or wide with respect to the parametric band.
Hand-built in our 60,000 square foot factory, based in Burnley UK. The 1084 follows the original 80 series module specification from the early days of Neve®.
The 1084 builds on the same basic design of the world-famous 1073®; however, it offers a significantly different palette of frequency selections. In addition, the 1084 features a “Q” switch, allowing the user to choose between two different Q types, either narrow or wide, concerning the parametric band.
The 1084’s improved EQ section builds upon the sonic foundation laid down by the 1073®, featuring selectable high shelf frequency points for greater control over the airband, Hi-Q mid-band setting for greater precision over the presence range and an added low pass filter to complement the 1073’s HPF.
The 1084 uses the same Marinair® specification transformers as the 1073® for its microphone & line inputs and on the balanced line output stage helping to produce classic Neve® module character.
The 1084 uses discrete class-A circuitry throughout, this design is entirely free from crossover distortion and produces a subtle warm & musical analogue hue to any line or microphone source.
The classic 5dB stepped Elma switch delivers accurate gain levels throughout the gain range. This unique layout means there is no need for a mic/line switch; the pot itself selects the preamp and input. Three distinct gain stages provided by two independent transistor-based preamplifiers provide gain for any DI, line input or microphone signal.
Combining the two preamps, the 1073® preamp found in the 1084, can deliver up to 80dB of microphone gain, bringing out the musical drive and harmonic saturation that gives the 1073 its fame.
The 180-degree phase flip feature is extremely useful in multi-microphone setups with multiple preamps, ideal for top and bottom snare micing.
The 1084 module has two impedance settings accessed via the rear-mounted Hi/Lo switch. With settings of 1.2kΩ and 300Ω, the impedance can be optimised for use with a wide range of modern or vintage microphones.
The 1084 comes in two orientations, vertical and horizontal. Vertical orientation modules can be built to install into a console or an 8-module rack. Additionally, horizontal modules can be made for use in the 3U stereo pair rack.
More Information and Support
- Classic transformer microphone preamp amp (Class A design)
- Exclusive Neve® Marinair® transformers used on input and output stages
- Hand-built and hand-wired to original 1970s design
- Both inputs are transformer balanced and earth free
- Microphone Input: Gain +80db to +20dB in 5dB steps.
- Line Input: Input impedance 10k ohms, gain +20dB to -10dB in 5dB steps.
- High Frequency: Smooth +/-16dB selectable frequency shelving at 10 kHz, 12kHz, & 16kHz
- Low Frequency: Smooth +/-16dB shelving with selectable frequencies of 35Hz, 60Hz, 110Hz & 220Hz
- Mid Frequency: Smooth +/-12dB or +/-18dB peaking with switchable ‘High Q’, selectable centre frequencies of 0.36kHz, 0.7kHz, 1.6kHz, 3.2kHz, 4.8kHz & 7.2kHz.
- High Pass Filter: 18dB per octave slope, switchable between 50Hz, 80Hz, 160Hz & 300Hz
- Low Pass Filter: 18dB per octave slope, switchable between 6kHz, 8kHz, 10kHz & 18kHz
- Output: Maximum output is >+26dBu into 600Ω, transformer balanced and earth free
- Distortion: Not more than 0.07% from 50Hz to 10kHz at +20dBu output (80kHz bandwidth) into 600Ω.
- Freq Response: ±0.5dB 20Hz to 20kHz, -3dB at 40kHz. EQ Out.
- Noise: -83dBu at all line gain settings (22Hz to 22kHz bandwidth)
- EIN: Better than -125dBu @ 60dB gain.
- Width: 45mm (1.8 inches)
- Height: 222mm (8.75 inches)
- Depth: 254mm (10 inches)
- Approx. Weight: 2.5kg (5.5 pounds)
Any questions on the 1084?
Please fill out this contact form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.