The only genuine 1073 is Neve
Launched in 1970, the 1073® is the first choice of leading producers and artists, delivering the unique Neve® sound on some of the most famous recordings of the past six decades. Although there have been numerous attempts to copy the 1073, ours are the only true modules on the market.
The 1073® is entirely handcrafted here in the UK by our Neve® Engineers. All of the units constructed today follow the original, pencil-on-paper designs drafted by Rupert Neve himself. This original construction method, using point-to-point wiring, fibreglass tracking and original components, takes time. However, it is necessary to ensure that ultimate care is taken when constructing this legendary module.
The exclusive Marinair® specification input transformers, used in the 1073® module, were a collaboration between Neve Electronics and the Marinair Radar company in the late ’60s & early ’70s. The Marinair specification for the 10468 Mic input transformer and 31267 line input transformer is exclusive to Neve and is manufactured here in the UK for all of our 1073’s. This is used to produce the balanced, subtle harmonic saturation for which the 1073 is famous.
The 1073’s LO1166 gapped output transformer was designed entirely by Rupert Neve in 1964 for use in his first transistorised console, designed for Phillips Records Ltd. This design has remained under lock & key at Neve HQ for the past 6 decades, used exclusively by Neve® to produce a transformer balanced output stage for the 1073®.
The 1073® uses a discrete class-A circuitry throughout, while not the most efficient design in terms of power consumption; this design is entirely free from crossover distortion and produces a subtle warm & musical analogue hue to any line or microphone source.
The classic 5dB stepped Elma switch delivers accurate gain levels throughout the gain range. This unique layout means there is no need for a mic/line switch; the pot itself selects the preamp and input. Three distinct gain stages provided by two independent transistor-based preamplifiers provide gain for line input or microphone signal. By combining the two preamps, the 1073® preamp can deliver up to 80dB of microphone gain, bringing out the musical drive and harmonic saturation that gives the 1073 its fame.
The iconic 1073 EQ section uses handcrafted inductors manufactured exclusively for Neve in the UK. These inductors follow the original, unpublished specification laid out in the 1073 module design for the 1070 Wessex A88 console, in which the EQ had to perform across a wide range of signal sources.
Rupert’s team carefully selected the frequency points for each of the three EQ bands. The high shelf is fixed at 12kHz, selectable bell curve mid-range with optimal presence frequency points and selectable low shelf frequency points; the 1073’s EQ section produces musical results across a wide range of signal sources.
Complimenting the three-band EQ is the 1073’s famous 3rd order high pass filter. This sound sculpting tool is ideal for tailoring signals when tracking through the unit, removing unwanted low frequencies from high register instruments.
The 180-degree phase flip feature is handy in multi-microphone setups with multiple preamps, ideal for top and bottom snare micing.
The 1073® module has two impedance settings accessed via the rear-mounted Hi/Lo switch. With settings of 1.2kΩ and 300Ω, the impedance can be optimised for use with a wide range of modern or vintage microphones.
The 1073® comes in two orientations, vertical and horizontal. Vertical orientation modules can be built to install into a console or an 8-module rack. Additionally, horizontal modules can be built for use in the 3U stereo pair rack.
More Information and Support
The 1073 can be purchased as single or multiple units. Each 1073 module has been designed to perfectly retrofit into the 80 Series Neve Classic consoles as part of a channel strip or can be mounted in a custom rack. The available rack sizes are 3U (which accommodates 2 modules horizontally) or 5U (which accommodates 8 modules vertically)
- Classic transformer microphone preamp amp (Class A design)
- Exclusive Neve® Marinair® transformers used on input and output stages
- Hand-built and hand-wired to original 1970s design
- Both inputs are transformer balanced and earth free
- Microphone Input: Gain +80db to +20dB in 5dB steps.
- Line Input: Input impedance 10k ohms, gain +20dB to -10dB in 5dB steps.
- High Frequency: Smooth +/-16dB fixed frequency shelving at 12kHz
- Low Frequency: Smooth +/-16dB shelving with selectable frequencies of 35Hz, 60Hz, 110Hz & 220Hz
- Mid Frequency: Smooth +/-18dB peaking, fixed ‘Q’ with selectable centre frequencies of 0.36kHz, 0.7kHz 1.6kHz, 3.2kHz, 4.8kHz & 7.2kHz
- High Pass Filter: 18dB per octave slope, switchable between 50Hz, 80Hz, 160Hz & 300Hz
- Output: Maximum output is >+26dBu into 600Ω, transformer balanced and earth free
- Distortion: Not more than 0.07% from 50Hz to 10kHz at +20dBu output (80kHz bandwidth) into 600Ω.
- Freq Response: ±0.5dB 20Hz to 20kHz, -3dB at 40kHz. EQ Out.
- Noise: -83dBu at all line gain settings (22Hz to 22kHz bandwidth)
- EIN: Better than -125dBu @ 60dB gain.
- Width: 45mm (1.8 inches)
- Height: 222mm (8.75 inches)
- Depth: 254mm (10 inches)
- Approx. Weight: 2.5kg (5.5 pounds)
Any questions on the 1073?
Please fill out this contact form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.