The 1073® with a Modern Twist
Designed and built in England, the modern-day 1073N is the perfect choice for producers looking to access classic Neve® sound in a true-to-form 80-series module.
The 1073N was constructed as a true-to-form 80-series module. This exacting specification means that the 1073N can replace vintage modules housed in the legendary 1970’s Neve® consoles using the gold-plated 18 pin rear connector.
The 1073N is a horizontal module and can still be racked together as a stereo pair in the Neve 3U stereo rack, and of course, each 1073N can be used by itself in standalone mode.
A great benefit of the 1073N is using the unit standalone without a console or rack. The 1073N has independent, external PSU, XLR connections and metal casing, meaning this classic preamp can be placed anywhere in the studio or taken on the road. Ultimate quality, any time, anywhere.
The 1073N is the ideal modern standalone 1073®, featuring an independent DI circuit and connection with earth lift and -20dB pad for recording any instrument directly into the 1073N.
The 1073N retains the discrete, class-A topology made famous by the classic 1073®. Taking this technology forward, the 1073N uses a combination of modern production techniques, including our unique, in-house SMT. Still, crucially, the discrete audio path is constructed using through-hole methods, including mounting of the Marinair® transformers and class-A transistor-based amplifiers.
Like the original 1073®, the 1073N uses the original, custom hand-wound inductors manufactured exclusively in the Uk. The 3-band inductor based EQ produces musical results across the frequency spectrum, the mid bell-curve band features ideal presence ranges for male and female vocals with +/-18dB of gain, with high and low shelving bands with +/-16dB gain.
The classic 5dB stepped Elma switch delivers accurate gain levels throughout the gain range. This unique layout means there is no need for a mic/line switch; the pot itself selects the preamp and input. Three distinct gain stages are provided by two independent transistor-based preamplifiers producing high gain for any DI, line input or microphone signal.
The 1073® preamp produces up to 80dB of microphone gain. By combining multiple gain stages, the 1073N produces the musical drive and harmonic saturation for which the 1073 is famous.
The 180-degree phase flip feature is extremely useful in multi-microphone setups with multiple preamps, ideal for top and bottom snare micing.
With settings of 1.2kΩ and 300Ω, the 1073LB impedance can be optimised for use with a wide range of modern or vintage microphones.
Click the logo below to read the independent product reviews
More Information and Support
- Classic transformer microphone preamp amp (Class A design) with integral DI input and Phantom Power.
- Exclusive Neve® Marinair™ transformers used on input and output stages.
- 3 EQ bands & HP filter.
- Can be used as a standalone module or inserted into a compatible rack or console.
- Mic & Line inputs are transformer balanced and earth free.
- Designed and built in England.
- Power (Standalone) – 127mA ±10mA at 24V DC. Negative Earth
- Microphone Input: Gain +80db to +20dB in 5dB steps.
- Line Input: Input impedance 10k ohms, gain +20dB to -10dB in 5dB steps.
- DI Input: Input impedance 10M Ohms (PAD off) / 10K Ohms (PAD on) Gain +80dB to +20dB in 5dB steps.
- High Frequency: Smooth +/-16dB fixed frequency shelving at 12kHz
- Low Frequency: Smooth +/-16dB shelving with selectable frequencies of 35Hz, 60Hz, 110Hz & 220Hz
- Mid Frequency: Smooth +/-18dB peaking, ﬁ xed ‘Q’ with selectable centre frequencies of 0.36kHz, 0.7kHz 1.6kHz, 3.2kHz, 4.8kHz & 7.2kHz
- High Pass Filter: 18dB per octave slope, switchable between 50Hz, 80Hz, 160Hz & 300Hz
- Output: Maximum output is >+26dBu into 600Ω.
- Output is transformer balanced and earth free.
- Distortion: Not more than 0.07% from 50Hz to 10kHz at +20dBu output.
- (80kHz bandwidth) into 600Ω.
- Freq Response: ±0.5dB 20Hz to 20kHz, -3dB at 40kHz. EQ Out.
- Width: 450mm (1.8 inches)
- Height: 222mm (8.75 inches)
- Depth: 254mm (10 inches)
- Approx. Weight: 2.5kg (5.5 pounds)
Any questions on the 1073N?
Please fill out this contact form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.